In 1557 Sir Antony Browne, the Lord Chief Justice, acquired the land on which Brentwood School was first built. During Mary Tudor's reign, hundreds of Protestants were burned at the stake and a well-known Brentwood Protestant, William Hunter, was ordered by Sir Antony Browne to be executed. This act may have led Sir Antony Browne to found Brentwood School.
Here is a brief timeline of developments at Brentwood School since its foundation.
1557 Sir Antony Browne purchases Weald Hall (salvaged parts of which remain at the School) and land for the School.
1558 Charter granted by Queen Mary Tudor. George Otway appointed first Headmaster.
1568 Old Big School built at the expense of Edmund and Dorothy Huddleston.
1622 Signing of School Statutes by the Bishop of London and John Donne, Dean of St. Paul's and one of England's finest poets. The statutes declared that pupils should be instructed in Virtue, Learning and Manners, which are values still embodied today.
1765 Boarders admitted to the School for the first time.
1773 School House built for £1,100.
1793 Lack of pupils forces temporary closure.
1801 School re-opens.
1806 Charles Tower takes over as School Master. The School has only 12 boys.
1851 The name Brentwood School and Charity Act replaces 1622 statues.
1851 Start of revival under headship of Dr W. D. West, the School experiences growth and the foundations are set for future development.
1868 School chapel built.
1870 Governing Body set up to appoint principal and teachers.
1870s The School gains its reputation for sport, producing an international rugby player and cricketer.
1891 Dr Edwin Bean MA appointed Headmaster and encourages boys from local state primary schools to join the School through scholarship examinations.
1892 Foundation of Preparatory School; the first classes are held in the School House dining room.
1907 Dr Edwin Bean writes the words to the School song to mark the School's 350th anniversary. Evelyn Heseltine purchased Roden House and adjoining land, donating the land to the School, which becomes the sports fields dedicated in his name.
1909 Evelyn Heseltine’s wife lays the foundation stone for Main School.
1911 Main School opens and Evelyn Heseltine provides a swimming pool.
1914 James Fisher Hough appointed Headmaster. School's golden era begins with acquisitions that form the basis of today's site. James Hough increased pupil numbers from just over 200 pupils when he took over to almost 900 pupils when he retired in 1945.
1924 Memorial Hall built.
1929 Bean Library opens as a memorial to Edwin Bean.
1930s Lawrence Building, swimming pool, squash courts, gymnasium and covered rifle range built. Middleton Hall purchased.
1945 Charles Allison appointed Headmaster.
1949 Preparatory School moves to Middleton Hall. Over the years, the Preparatory School has moved to various parts of the Brentwood School site, including Roden House (now the Senior School Headmaster's House), the Hermitage, and finally to Middleton Hall in 1949.
1955 Memorial Pavilion built.
1957 400th Anniversary: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II opens new Science building named the Queen's Building.
1966 Richard Sale appointed Headmaster.
1974 Girls admitted to Sixth Form.
1976 Direct Grant status withdrawn.
1981 John Evans appointed Headmaster.
1986 Courage Hall opens.
1988 The first all girls' class begins from age 11, with boys and girls being taught separately to age 16.
1992 Boarding at the Prep ceases.
1993 John Kelsall appointed Headmaster.
1994 Allison Building built.
1995 Foundation of Pre-Preparatory School under the solid and imaginative leadership of Founder and Headmistress Mrs Ann Murrells.
1999 Preparatory School becomes co-educational.
1999 Hardy Amies Design Centre opens, major refurbishment of Performing Arts Centre launched.
2002 New indoor heated swimming pool and fitness suite officially opened by Olympic Swimmer Mark Foster.
2003 Science Study Centre and new Pre-Preparatory Hall, Preparatory classrooms and computer suites open, refurbishment of Queen's Building.
2004 Ian Davies appointed Headmaster.
2005 Extension to the Allison Modern Languages building completed to provide six new classrooms and a state-of-the-art language laboratory.
2007 The School celebrates its 450th anniversary.
2007 International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme introduced as post-16 option.
2008 200-person changing room block on the Heseltines opens.
2009 Over 200 Brentwood School CCF cadets, officers and Old Brentwoods travel to Belgium to unveil a memorial at St. George's Church in Ypres.
2010 New Reception, School Shop and Dining Hall extension.
2011 A new cutting-edge 400-seat auditorium, named the Wessex Auditorium, and Sixth Form Centre opened by His Royal Highness Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex.
2012 New running track opened by Fatima Whitbread.
2013 Building works commence on the Cunliffe building and the Bean Library.
2013 The Pre-Preparatory School and Preparatory School are amalgamated into one Preparatory School providing a seamless progression from age 3 to age 11.
2015 A coach carrying 34 pupils and six teachers crashed into a bridge in Middelkerke, Belgium, on the way to Cologne for a School trip. Two pupils were seriously injured and the co-driver sadly lost his life.
2015 The Brentwood School Foundation is set up by the School's Development Office, with the aim of raising funds to enable deserving pupils to receive means-tested bursaries to attend the School.
2016 The Bean Academic Centre opens to students, quadrupling the size of the original Bean Library, including an 80-seat lecture theatre, open social and study spaces, and a tuck shop, which is open from 7.30am to 6.30pm.
2017 The Preparatory School celebrates its 125th Anniversary
2018 The School travels back to Ypres to commemorate the centenary of the end of the Great War with a moving service in St George's Church, including a rededication of the School's plaque and the laying of three wreaths at Menin Gate.
2018 The School celebrates 30 years since admitting girls into the 1st Year.
2018 The Preparatory School announces a multi million pound refurbishment and extension to facilities, including full day Nursery provision and wrap-around care from 7.30am to 6pm.
2019 Michael Bond appointed Headmaster.